Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Life in Seattle: Control(45)

Hello Seattle
 I just finished day one of opening and closing the shop in the market completely by myself! My bosses didn't even stop by the shop once all day, I was surprised. And I've gotta say, it was fun. I love this job, I even met some people from good old Tulsa, Oklahoma today- they are loving Seattle and definitely not missing OK's weather right now (and not looking forward to the flight back). It was like a piece of home all over again- there's something comforting in talking to someone who understands and knows where you come from...


My running view
Anyway, it was a very long day (but good) and I was so excited and ready to just catch a bus and go home. I was walking up to my bus stop, when a song in my ipod blasted through my ears and changed everything. The words were,

I need to feel

It made everything in me stop walking and say WAIT.
How have I already let myself become so controlled by my work schedule so that I get to my bus stop and go home as soon as I get off of work? Have I already become so numb to the city around me? Why am I in such a hurry to go home? So I can what, clean my kitchen sooner? Organize my apartment more? (Although these things are nice and important too).

 I wanted to feel. I needed to feel. Something, anything.
My running view
 I needed to remember to open my eyes.
So I turned around, walked away from the bus stop, and went wherever I felt like walking. I ended up with an icecream and sitting down on the pier and watching and listening to the ocean, listening to myself. It was wonderful. And well worth not getting home until later. It made me think...
Costume shop madness



 Control

1. Take it
What are you waiting for? You are the only thing keeping you from your best version of you, your dreams, your success. Change your life, go running, be healthy, stop the bad habits,  start new good habits, do the things you wish you did but never find the time for. It's not about what difficulties or troubles life's put you through or not.. it's about what you do despite that, what you do because of that. Life doesn't always give you lemons. Sometimes, life doesn't give you anything at all.
View from the pier
But why in the world are we waiting around for life to hand us something in the first place? Go out there and just do it. Pack your bags and head out to your dream city. Overcome the challenges. There will always be people telling you what you should do, there will always be that voice of doubt in your head questioning every move. Take control and you'll see that you are the one that makes life happen- then you can be the one to decide whether your life has lemons, or grapes, or strawberries, or something completely different. You can keep eating whatever life happens to grow around you, or you can start a garden and grow your own world and fill it with anything you want.




2. Let it go
 Do something random, do something that won't necessarily accomplish anything specific. Watch that movie, get the icecream, sit down and watch the ocean, listen to yourself, tell her how you really feel, hop on that motorcycle and just ride somewhere, buy him that sweater, wear the red dress- who cares if there's a special occasion or not? Every moment can be a special occasion if we let it.
Why are we always so afraid to move before we analyze everything? Perhaps some things aren't meant to be analyzed. You don't have to choose between having your cake and eating it too- just keep on baking cakes. Who says you ever have to stop? Life is supposed to be fun and enjoyable. So just let it be, whatever that is, without trying to shape and mold every second of it. I find that the most peace, the happiest moments, the greatest memories I ever have, are almost always coming from moments that were spontaneous, that were unplanned, moments I had no idea were going to happen before they did.

But they can only happen when you keep your eyes open, when you allow yourself the need to feel.




"I tried to tell you before I left
But I was screaming under my breath
(You are the only thing that makes sense)
Just ignore all this present tense

We need to feel...
breathless with love"

- Snow Patrol

Seattle monkey

No comments:

Post a Comment